Vauxhall OnStar - Your Personal Connectivity and Service Assistant
In launching Vauxhall OnStar, Vauxhall will lead the industry with vehicle telematics. Previewed at the Geneva Motorshow on March 3rd, Vauxhall showcased the fantastic and industry leading technology which includes a high-speed 4G LTE mobile network, emergency response notification, vehicle diagnostics and stolen vehicle tracker.
The Vauxhall OnStar system will be offered on selected Vauxhall passenger cars from October 2015, with the systems hardware fitted to the vehicle as standard and the full suite of OnStar services being provided free for a 12 month period*.
AUTOMATIC CRASH RESPONSE. WE'RE ON OUR WAY.
If you have an accident and can't call for help, OnStar reacts instantly. The second your airbag inflates:
- Automatic Crash Response opens a direct line to a trained OnStar advisor, who'll talk to you in your chosen language (even if you're abroad) via the hands-free speakerphone.
- OnStar sends a report to our Service Centre, including your location, travel direction, vehicle colour and the extent of the damage. Emergency services immediately head to the accident scene, if your vehicle report warrants it.
If your vehicle breaks down, OnStar is there, too.
- If you're in a remote area or can't get a phone signal, press the Service button to talk to an OnStar advisor.
- Your advisor will take down your problem and send a professional breakdown recovery team to your location.
24 HOUR EMERGENCY CALL SERVICE.
If a medical emergency affects you or your passengers, OnStar is ready to help.
- Press the SOS button for a direct line to an OnStar service advisor.
- If necessary, your advisor will send details of your exact location to the relevant emergency services, who will immediately come to your aid.
HOW DOES VAUXHALL ONSTAR WORK?
WI-FI HOTSPOT. YOUR CAR IS ONLINE.
Broadband makes life easier and more fun, so use OnStar to create an in-car wi-fi hotspot.
- Enjoy fast and stable internet access on the move.
- Smartphones, laptops, tablets and more – your hotspot will support up to seven devices.
- OnStar's powerful roof antenna reliably connects you to high-speed internet services.
When do I need to fill up? What's my tyre pressure? Where did I park? Use your OnStar smartphone app to:
- Display key diagnostics (like tyre pressure, fuel and oil levels) anytime, anywhere.
- Lock and unlock your car doors remotely.
- Locate your vehicle if you can't remember where you last parked.
- Once you're close to your car, flash the lights and honk the horn to identify it.
- Enter your destination address into your smartphone and send it to your car's navigation system.
STOLEN-VEHICLE ASSISTANCE. WE'LL HELP GET IT BACK.
If your car is not where you parked it, OnStar can confirm if it's been stolen – and help you get it back.
- Once you report the theft to the police, your OnStar advisor can use the crime reference number to start searching for your car.
- OnStar's GPS technology will confirm your Vauxhall's location.
- If the thief turns off the engine, OnStar can deactivate the ignition, effectively immobilising your car. The police can then recover it.
VEHICLE DIAGNOSTICS. BECAUSE PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.
Vehicle diagnostics keep you up-to-date with your car's health of so you can avoid unexpected repairs.
- If you see a warning light in the dash, press the Service button. Your advisor will assess your car remotely and tell you if you need a mechanic.
- If you do, we'll send your nearest Vauxhall dealer's address to your navigation system.
- At your request, OnStar can also send you a monthly email showing your car's oil level, tyre pressure and other data, to help you stay in control.
DESTINATION DOWNLOAD. DIRECTIONS ON DEMAND.
Isn't that museum around here? Where's that great restaurant? Is this the stadium? OnStar is always ready to help when you're in doubt about locations, directions or destinations.
- Use the Service button to contact your OnStar advisor. They'll pinpoint your destination and send the address to your vehicle´s navigation system.
- Destination Download saves time and calms nerves – for example, by helping you easily switch destination en route.
THE ONSTAR BUTTONS IN YOUR CAR.
To contact OnStar, press one of three buttons:
- Blue for Service – this button puts you through to an OnStar advisor – and whichever service you need.
- Red for SOS – this button gets you immediate help in an emergency. It gives you a priority line to an OnStar advisor who will get support to you.
- Black for Privacy – if you'd prefer not to let us know where you are. This button prevents OnStar from locating your vehicle, except in an emergency (for example, if you have an accident or someone steals your car).
A DIRECT CALL.
Whether it's help or information you need, simply call OnStar.
- A trained advisor will take your call, around the clock.
- If you've lost your car keys or aren't sure if you locked the doors, the OnStar Service Centre is there to help out.
- You can call OnStar nearly anywhere in Europe – and we'll answer in your chosen language.
REMOTE CONTROL FOR YOUR CAR.
If you forget your smartphone or lock yourself out of your car, just call OnStar Service. Once our advisor has checked your security PIN, they'll locate your car and lock it – or unlock it remotely so you can get in. Problem solved.
YOUR PRIVACY. YOUR CALL.
You are always in complete control of what OnStar can and can't do
- Once you've registered and activated OnStar, you can access every OnStar service.
- To safeguard your security, several services (including Remote Door Lock/Unlock and Stolen Vehicle Assistance) will ask for your PIN.
- To prevent OnStar from accessing your car's location, press the Privacy button. OnStar will only override this request in an emergency.
- OnStar will never sell on your information. Your information will only be disclosed to OnStar, its affiliated or associated companies, retailers and companies working on behalf of OnStar ('selected third parties').
Questions and Answers
- When will Vauxhall OnStar become available?
- Vauxhall OnStar will be launched in mid-2015.
- Which cars will have Vauxhall OnStar?
- Vauxhall OnStar will come as standard with the higher trims in most Vauxhall cars in 2015. We’ll announce further details soon.
- How do I get Vauxhall OnStar?
- From mid-2015, Vauxhall OnStar will be available in virtually every new Vauxhall passenger car and will even come standard with selected trim levels. Best of all, you can test Vauxhall OnStar – including Wi-Fi Hotspot – free of charge for one year.
- How do I get started and use Vauxhall OnStar?
- You’ll need to register with Vauxhall OnStar and activate Vauxhall OnStar services. On request, you’ll receive an email invitation to register online – or you can simply press the Vauxhall OnStar service button in your car and make your first contact through an Vauxhall OnStar advisor. You are at any time in full control of your services and data.
- Can I have Vauxhall OnStar in my current car?
- Vauxhall OnStar will only be available in new cars. It’s not possible to fit existing models with Vauxhall OnStar.
- Can I get Vauxhall OnStar with other car brands?
- No. Vauxhall OnStar is a unique service that’s only available in Vauxhall cars.
- How can I unsubscribe from Vauxhall OnStar services?
- You can stop receiving Vauxhall OnStar services at any time, although we hope you won’t want to! You can either go online to your Vauxhall OnStar account and unsubscribe there, or press the Vauxhall OnStar Service button in the car and talk to an advisor who can help you.
- Sometimes these things happen – it’s no problem. When you’re connected to an advisor, we will just check if there is anything else we can help with.
- Will Vauxhall OnStar work when I travel abroad?
- Yes. Vauxhall OnStar services will work in 31 countries across Europe. Wi-fi connection my vary by country.
- What happens if I have an accident in a location that has no mobile phone coverage?
- One of the benefits of having Vauxhall OnStar is that you don’t need to depend on your mobile phone and signal, even in an emergency. The larger roof antenna which comes with Vauxhall OnStar provides a stronger signal than your mobile phone, even if you’re in an area of poor reception.
- Can I use my own roadside provider via Vauxhall OnStar?
- With Vauxhall OnStar, we provide access to a first-class emergency service (including roadside recovery) called Vauxhall Assistance. We can send Vauxhall Assistance your vehicle details and even, in some cases, your location. We are unable to provide this service with other roadside service providers.
- What kind of emergencies can Vauxhall OnStar help me with?
- Vauxhall OnStar can help you with all kinds of vehicle emergencies. Whether you have an accident or a medical emergency in the car, or you see an accident on the road and want to alert the emergency services, just press the red SOS button and we can help.
- Is Vauxhall OnStar only available in emergencies?
- No, Vauxhall OnStar offers many more features than help in an emergency. You can contact Vauxhall OnStar via the blue Service button in the car or your Vauxhall OnStar app. Alternatively, if you need the address of that new restaurant, or you want to know more about the warning light in your car, or you forgot to lock your car, we’re there to help you 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Does my insurance company get the data?
- No, your insurance company won’t be sent any information. Your data won’t be shared with any third parties unless you ask us to share it.
- Do I have to pay for Vauxhall OnStar services?
- When you buy a car with Vauxhall OnStar, you will need to register for Vauxhall OnStar services and activate your free Vauxhall OnStar trial, which lasts several months. After this period, services will be charged for. We will announce prices soon.
- How much does it cost to call Vauxhall OnStar from my car?
- You can contact Vauxhall OnStar as often as you wish. There are no additional costs for your calls.
- For which mobile devices is the Vauxhall OnStar smartphone app available?
- The app will be available for Android and iOS mobile devices.
- How can I download and install the mobile app?
- The Vauxhall OnStar app will be part of the My Vauxhall app. To install the app on an Android mobile device, you’ll download the app from the Google Play store. In the case of Apple iOS, you should download the app from the App Store.
- What personal data is shared with Vauxhall OnStar and for what purposes?
- Vauxhall OnStar will only collect personal data to manage and contact you about your subscribed services.
- Can I prevent Vauxhall OnStar from using my data?
- Vauxhall OnStar will not forward your data to any third parties without your consent.
- What about Vauxhall OnStar tracking me and knowing where I am?
- You are in control of when Vauxhall OnStar uses your location, and the Privacy button allows you to mask your location at any time. If you change your mind, you can press the Privacy button again to reveal your location for Vauxhall OnStar services. Only in emergencies and to protect your life will this be overruled.
- What data is collected?
- Vauxhall OnStar only collects data you share in order to bring Vauxhall OnStar subscribed services to you. This includes:
- Customer information, such as name, address and email.
- Security information, such as PIN and emergency contacts (in case you want us to contact a loved one if you have an emergency).
- Vehicle data, such as odometer, mileage, tyre pressure, oil and fuel levels, and diagnostics.
- Vehicle location, to provide our destination-download, stolen-vehicle ‘tracking’ assistance and emergency services.
- Can I decide which data is collected?
- Yes. We’ll ask you to provide basic customer information when you register, so that we can legally deliver Vauxhall OnStar services. You may wish to share additional data beyond this (such as emergency contact information) directly at registration or later on.
- How do I know what data is collected by Vauxhall OnStar?
- When you register fo Vauxhall OnStar, we’ll provide detailed information about what data is collected and what it’s used for.
- How will this data be used?
- The data Vauxhall OnStar collects will only be used to deliver your subscribed services to you. We will never forward your data to a third party without your consent.
- Is the data transferred to other countries?
- Nearly all your information is stored on German servers. Some data will be transferred to servers in the US under the EU Safe Harbour regulations.
- How can I connect a wi-fi device via the wi-fi hotspot?
- It’s very easy – you connect your device in the same way as to any wi-fi network. Just search for local wi-fi networks on your mobile device and then select your vehicle hotspot when listed. Enter the password when prompted. You can access your wi-fi settings in the car or via the app.
- I already have a 3G/4G subscription on my mobile. Why should I pay for another one?
- Vauxhall OnStar wi-fi connectivity provides a stronger signal strength than your mobile due to the large roof antenna on the car, and you will have a superior experience. You can also tether up to seven mobile devices in the car, so your passengers will be able to use the hotspot, too.
- What about data roaming within the EU?
- Data roaming in Europe is included.
*For more information about Vauxhall OnStar and to see the terms and conditions please visit www.vauxhall.co.uk/onstar